Welcome to Nature Friends Los Angeles Website
Nature Friends is a non-profit membership organization whose purposes among others are:
- To acquaint its members with the opportunity to appreciate nature and the natural scenery of the country.
- To encourage the study of nature and to disseminate the knowledge of the natural sciences.
- To support and aid the protection, conservation and preservation of woods, wildlife and the natural features of this country.
- To promote friendship and good relations with other organizations and individuals who are sympathetic to the above stated purposes.
- To acquire, build and maintain lodges, shelters, houses. and other places of recreation.
- To arrange meetings, social and cultural activities, exhibitions and lectures in relation to the purposes of the club.
- To promote the selective use of its facilities to generate revenue to support the organization.
We have two facilities in the Los Angeles, Southern California area. A lodge and Retreat Center in the city of Sierra Madre and a cabin in the San Jacinto Mountains. Below is the information about them:
Nature Friends Los Angeles is a Private Membership organization. Its facilities are NOT open to the general public. All Nature Friends activities are by invitation only. We reserve the right to refuse admittance to any person for any reason. Please call ahead before you visit our location and arrange an appointment. Do not come unannounced. We often have private events at our locations, and we appreciate your not disturbing them with unannounced visits.
By Participating in any NFLA event, you accept the following Terms and Conditions.
Wednesday Evening Hike with Nature Friends.
We meet every Wednesday evening at 6PM for a 1 to 2 hours hike (depending on the weather).
We hike the local trails and foothills. Past hikes included Eaton Canyon, Santa Anita Canyon, Milliard Falls, the Arroyo Seco and many other local wonders and beautiful locations just within minutes of our homes. Meeting and hiking location is sent by email a day or two before.
Join us for a evening or fun, friendship and exercise.
Organized by Rosann and Matt.
For more details, please CLICK HERE and request to be added to the mailing list.
Information and views of our facilities
Sierra Madre Lodge and Retreat Center
An ideal location for meetings, retreats, weddings, workshops, seminars, birthday parties or picnics. All in a secluded rustic setting... easily accessible from most areas in the Greater Los Angeles Basin.
Nature Friends is located in the beautiful foothill city of Sierra Madre, only 45 minutes drive from Los Angeles Airport or Hollywood, 30 minutes from Burbank Airport or downtown Los Angeles and just 15 minutes from Pasadena.
The buildings are set in a fork of Little Santa Anita Canyon on the eastern shoulder of Mount Wilson, nestled in a grove of wild oak and alder trees and other nature plantings. The property is a nature and wildlife sanctuary, retreat center, community resource, library and welcoming garden.
Feel free to look at our website and if you would like more information about the requirements for using our facility for your next event or would like to get more information about becoming a member contact us. We will be glad to invite you to come and visit us.
San Jacinto Cabin
Here below are some pictures from our cabin up in the mountains of San Jacinto, near Idylwild.
This cabin was built by our members, by hand between 1929 and 1932. We have a vintage video in our archive collection showing how they did it.. it's amazing what they did back in those days. They were very resourceful.